Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Drama Queen"

Drama Queen 2

"Drama Queen"
© David A. Ziser

Here is an image I made during our Sedona Experience seminar last month.  I was reviewing some of the images on the plane while traveling to New Your this morning. This series of images are still some of my favorite from that shoot.

What I love about the image is the strong play of textures throughout the photograph.  Those textures are created by the wall treatment, a faux painted Italian plaster that was just beautiful to both see and feel - it was sooooo smooth and silky along with the shadowing from the light fixtures.  There seems to be a roughness implied in the wall textures by those shadows and it’s those implied textures that add enhancement and drama to this image.

Lighting on my subject was supplied by my Z-Ray flashlight coming in from camera left.  It's narrow cone of light let me direct the light just to her face thereby not affecting the strong shadows on the wall cast by the wall fixtures.

In order to tweak the image, I loaded it up into Snapseed, NIK Software's iPad app which is just a kick to play with.  After adding a filter here and there and selectively tweaking densities regionally in the image I had the result I wanted.  The expression on the young lady's face and the dramatic lighting I believe, fit the title perfectly.

Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 18-200mm ID lens at 18mm, F6.3 @ 1/30 second, ISO 1000.  Enjoy!  -David

1 comment: