Thursday, July 07, 2011

"Cascading Beauty"

0726_DZ5D_HawaiiZ07_thumb8

"Cascading Beauty"
©David A. Ziser

This image was made on a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii a few years ago. LaDawn and I were wondering through this wonderfully lush botanical garden luxuriating in the beautiful surrounds. During our stroll, we happened upon this small waterfall. A simple click of the camera would not have done this image justice.

The secret was to catch the motion of the water and the only way I could do that was with a super slow shutter speed. I had no tripod with me so I had to resort to plan B - an image stabilized lens, a tree, and me.

That's right, this is a handheld image at 1/2 second! I took several to be sure I had at least one sharp. I love the color, composition, and motion of this image. It hangs as a large print in our living room at home.

Oh, BTW, you can check out my video tutorial on how I pull these slow/non-tripod exposures off right here.

Camera specs: Canon 5D fitted with 24-105mm IS lens at 35mm, F22 @ 1/2 second, ISO 800. Enjoy! -David

2 comments:

  1. Sir, I love this image. I have an affinity for this sort of shot. Many of my personal shots are like this, and one of my favorites is also from Hawaii. I continually look for shots like this in my travels with the military. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the countless tips and lessons you have shared with us all through your books and videos.
    God Bless,
    Ben Register

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice capture Mr. Ziser, really captures the tropical nature of that part of the island.

    ReplyDelete