Friday, February 26, 2010

"A Sign Of Confidence"

Confidence Abounds 1

"A Sign Of Confidence"
©David A. Ziser

I love doing wide angle lens portraiture. I like what the lens does to the surrounding lines.  Architectural photogs would not agree with me but I like the convergence of the lines the lens causes.  In today's image, I explored several different crops. The way the image is presented here was my first favorite and captured what I saw in the viewfinder and what I thought I wanted in my finished result. But then I started "playing" with it a bit.  Hit the Read More..." link below for two more views of the same shot and Camera specs. 

Confidence Abounds 2 What do you think?  I think I like how the subject is positioned to the right with all the lines on the left leading towards him and framing him too.

Confidence Abounds 3 In this third image, I pushed him back to the left.  I'm not sure if I like all the white to the right this time, but the more I look at the image, I really don’t care. The white space creates a nice visual balance. Is there any right answer?  It depends on how the photographer wants to present his/her work and the impact of the image.  Notice how the other two crops bring a different reaction to you as you view them. All in the fun of photography.  Lighting for this shot is provided by the naturally occurring light in the scene.  I turned the subject's face to the light until I had the loop lighting pattern on his face. Camera specs: Canon 7D fitted with 10-22mm wide angle lens at 12mm, F5.6 @ 1/30 second, ISO 200. Enjoy!  -David

4 comments:

  1. I think the 3rd one looks best. 1st one he seems far away and too many lines, sencond he looks to have very wide shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the first image. I love the way you incorporate lines into your compositions. The lines always lead your eyes to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Vince, I think your first photograph is still your strongest image. The position of his head works with the lines and the full arch in the image gives it a good sense of completion to the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All are correct since there is no right answer...

    ReplyDelete