Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Technique Tuesday: "Shoot More Than Eyeliner and Shoes On The Wedding Day"

Good Morning Everybody,

First of all let me once again thank everyone who commented on Friday's post, "Are There Too Many Wedding Photographers Shooting Weddings These Days?" [link].  Feel free to jump in on the conversation. It has been a wonderful view of ideas and discussion.

This week is a busy week around the studio.  The brand new Canon ImagePrograf iPf8100 printer arrives today - all 500 pounds of it.  I can't wait to get it fired up and see what that baby will do.

KPPA PPE On top of the new printer arriving, we've got our Professional Photographer’s Kentucky State Convention beginning this weekend.  I'm on the board of directors so that means a meeting or two before things kick off.  Add to that my 4-day Bar Mitzvah Celebration this weekend, which includes coverage Thursday through Sunday. You can see time is getting a bit tight around here.

The cool thing about the Bar Mitzvah are the 8 4x8 foot banners I produced over the weekend for the client. Man, they turned out great.  Sounds like a future Technique Tuesday episode to me.

And speaking of Technique Tuesday, let get right to today's episode.

"Shoot More Than Eyeliner and Shoes On The Wedding Day"

A few months ago I had reviewed dozens of wedding photography blogs.  The thought that continually echoed in my mind as I surveyed hundreds of images was, "Where's the beef?"  If I saw one more close up shot of the makeup artist applying eyeliner to an eyelid, I was going to scream. 

I mean, who buys that shot.  There were so many, many other images that were so often repeated from site to site, such as; wedding gown hanging in front of the window, the bride’s shoes, even the bridesmaid shoes, flowers, etc.  OK, are you fired up now?  Here's my point.  Those kind of images might look great on a website, but what was so often missing were the subtle expressions, reactions, and emotions of the day. A wedding day is more than just the detail shots.

There are so many places to capture the quiet moments of the day and the wedding ceremony is a perfect place to begin.  I make it a point to discretely and quietly roam the church seeking out those special moments when the grandmother gently kisses her grandson, or when the bride's mom gives a loving glance to her husband. I love capturing those moments.

Today's tutorial shows you what I'm talking about. I'll discuss lens, ISOs, and cameras.  Hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

______________________________________________________

Hey gang, that wraps it for me today.  I've got to find a place to put a 500 pound printer.  See ya' tomorrow for PhotoFAVS Wednesday - tomorrow's topic - it has something to do with camera settings nobody uses but should

See ya' then, -David

6 comments:

  1. A nice reminder David, we can often forget to get these shots perhaps concentrating too much on the bride, I do the other kind too, eye liner ect, but often just use them for backgrounds in the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David: I can't see the video...it may be a problem on my end but just in case it's not, I wanted to give you heads up.... and also, I agree, a wedding is not only about the details but I have to also mentioned that I've seen several photographers not capture any details at all (i.e. ring shot!?!?), which is just as bad as having "too" much detail shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello David...I can see the video with Internet Explorer but not with Firefox so I'm the one with the problems right now :) just keep an eye out to see if any other uses with Firefox are having a similar issue as me. Thanks again for your wonderful posts!!! Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey David, Some great tips. As you stated many of these shots may not be used on photographers websites but are a must to add to the overall collection of the day.

    I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your seminar in Vegas (missed you in Phoenix) and hope to catch you again down the road.

    Zak

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey David, excellent post and video again. That's indeed a very important aspect when you tell the story of a wedding. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete