Monday, November 19, 2007

Tell Me True, Fill Light

FILL LIGHT -- It's more than a light coming in at a stop or two less from the direction of the camera. I thought this was a great read about what Fill Light really is and how it should be correctly used in our photography. I have been guilty myself about just turning down my on camera flash a bit (I'm still using a main light to create a direction of light) just to fill the shadows as occasionally needed when making a portrait/wedding image. But, that "little" light source sometimes adds some "specularity" to the skin depending on the "shininess" of the subject's complexion. This is usually the best we can do in a fast paced wedding situation, but I really liked how Michael Ray over at ProfessionalPhotography101 talked about how the fill light is only about filling the shadows without adding anything of its own. Give it a read right here at ProfessionalPhotography101 - good basic stuff we sometimes forget.

1 comment: