Thursday, November 15, 2007

How Well Do You Know Your Camera?

You know, this is an important question. The digital cameras and flashes we use today are pretty darn sophisticated, but how many of us know the full capabilities of our gear? I ask many photogs at my seminars "How many know about the high speed sync feature on their flashes?" Most say they never heard of it!! It's a great feature in some specific light situations - for instance - while shooting a wedding or portrait in very bright outdoor light. I put my camera on "aperture priority and the flash on "High Speed" sync and get a very pleasing flash fill result, opening up those harsh shadows that can result in those kind of situations.

Too many shooters are stuck on P for "Professional" and just shoot away. I say read the manual - thoroughly cover to cover. Read the French, Spanish, and Japan versions too so it really sinks in. We have these wonderful tools at our disposal. To me - it's Harry Potter magic we hold in our hands, so let's use some of that magic as we create our images. Check out the article over at EpicEdits.com and see how well you really know your camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment