Monday, January 31, 2011

"Just Blowing In The Wind"

Just Blowing In The Breeze

"Just Blowing In The Wind"
©David A. Ziser

I still remember when I made this image.  It was a breezy Spring day during one of my Master Classes a few years ago. I had just began experimenting with my "cheating the sync" technique, that is using a shutter speed faster that the native sync speed that the camera recommends.

The nice thing about this technique is the fact that it allows you to shoot in brighter lighting conditions when using an off camera flash like the Quantum T5d I like to so often use.  You can find the link to my post on the subject right here.

Anyway, we were working in a really nice part of the park - I love the large pampas grass coming in from the right.  The sun was coming in from camera right as well.  I decided to turn the bride's face away from the bright sun to avoid the bride from squinting. 

I brought my strobe in from camera left which added the illumination to the shadowed side of the bride's face.  The slight breeze caught the veil nicely which really offered a nice touch to the composition.  Because of the wide range of densities, I thought converting the image to black and white made a more impacting presentation than the color version.

Camera specs: Canon 20D fitted with 70-200mm IS lens at 140mm, F5.6 @ 1/400 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David 

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    I remember loving this shot from the first time I saw it. Question: where is that dark strip on the photo that we usually get when our shutter speed is too fast to sink with the flash?
    Thanks,
    Melissa Gallo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! She looks beautiful and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete