Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday Highlights

Good Morning Everyone,

We are off and running towards a wonderful day today. Bert Monroy - legendary Photoshop guru - is heading into the Cincy area today. Bert's presenting the Photoshop CS3 Creativity Tour right here in good ol' Covington, KY tomorrow and I plan to be there. He hits town this evening - LaDawn and I are going to catch up with him for dinner - looking forward to it. I've got a few more "studio" things happening today, but not too heavy of a schedule. So on with the news...

Kenny Roger's Hits town too:
Well, actually Louisville, KY. I know what you are thinking - why is Ziser reporting on Kenny Rogers. Here's why - Does anybody remember the beautiful portrait photography book he published entitled Your Friends and Mine back in 1987 - I still have my copy. It's a collection of beautiful portraits that he shot with a 4x5 view camera - the work is awesome! The whole point is this - Kenny Rogers is quite an accomplished photographer. Check out his work here. I think you will enjoy it.

Attention Film Photographers!
What? Ziser's talking film - I thought this was a digital site. Well, it is, and that's why I'm reporting on what looks to be a really cool scanner from Epson. Here is the news item - "Epson Unveils Scanner Featuring 6400 DPI Resolution, Earth-Friendly LED Technology For Breakthrough Price Under $250." OK, it was the $250 price tag that caught my eye because we all know that photographers are .....? But in all seriousness, I have "tons" of really good images I shot on film over the many years in this business that I would love to have scanned. In fact all the "Images of the Day" for this week have been film images. This scanner looks like a lot of "bang for the buck." I'm going to check it out more thoroughly. I'll keep you posted. Here is the link for more info on the Epson Perfection V500 photo scanner.

Creating a Better a Logo:
I know I said this site is about digital photography, Photoshop, etc, but it also being more successful in your business. If I find something interesting that I think benefits our readers and the success of their business, you will find the post here. Anyway, many of us struggle with coming up with a good logo - not many of us are "logo experts". Well, here are 6 things a good company logo must have. Click here for the link. Enjoy.

Panorama Stock Photography:
Panoramas have always held a special interest for me. I'm looking forward to working with Photoshop CS3's new "Photomerge" feature to create a few myself. Mike Wong has a great write up on how to use it right here. Mike's going to be at Photoshop World next week in Las Vegas. Anyway, the point of the news item was to tell you all about this new photo stock site called World Panorama Stock. If you are interested in Panorama photography at all or just trying to get some ideas for shooting panoramas, check out the link here - some really nice stuff.

More Good Ideas?
All of us can use the proverbial "kick in the pants" when trying to refresh our "creativity" brain cells. You need to check out The FStop's online magazine site. Here is their intro - "The FSTOP is an online magazine featuring the work of top advertising, editorial, and fine art photographers. Published six times a year, each issue explores the work of four professionals. Articles combine an in-depth interview with a comprehensive behind-the-scenes deconstruction of the process of creating one powerful image from the photographer’s recent portfolio." It's the "scenes deconstruction" part that got me - they tell you how the image was made in detail. Click here for a the link to one of their recent articles featuring the work of Andreas Smetana, named "Advertising Photographer of the year in 2006 and 2007. Well done - highly recommended!

That's it for today, gang. See you tomorrow. --David

P.S. Don't forget to vote in the "Flash Card Poll" over in the right column - this poll closes today. Thanks, David




No comments:

Post a Comment