Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday - Good Things Happening - 1 of 3

Good Morning Everybody,

Still hot as heck here in Cincy - over 100 degrees again yesterday, no rain for weeks, everybody's grass is brown. But the sky is blue, the air is clear, and I have the weekend off - time for a little R&R. I'm breaking this news day into a couple of posts because of all the info today. Anyway, on with the news and features.

Jones Shoot:
I arrived about 10:00 a.m., set up the gear and we were ready to go by 11:00a.m. These guys do great work at Jones and I have the honor of working with many of their designers at the various wedding and Bar Mitzvah functions I photograph - but I digress. The whole set up looks pretty complicated, but is not really. Check out the image and let me walk you through it.

Main Light Source is fairly obvious. The background Light is set up to illuminate the white seamless paper, but because of its proximity to the object being photographed, I had to "gobo" or block the "light spill" onto the flowers being photographed. There is also an Accent Light ( hidden by the "gobo" unbrella) that skimmed light across the flowers from the back. The Accent Light just "kisses" the flowers with light and adds that added touch of "garlic" accent to the image.

The Canon 5D is tethered to my computer. I was running Canon's Photo Professional software. This let me take the photograph which transmitted quickly to the computer, popped all the RGB histogram info, and let me quickly fine tune exposure - white balance had previously been set. I was shooting JPEGs by the way - please no "religious jpeg vs. raw" debate here ;-)

Here is my position and the finished image. Notice the "gobo" umbrella is only blocking the Background Light from spilling to much light onto the flowers, yet it still supplies a nice amount of "Fill Light" to the scene.
I photographed about 15 items for Jones and we were wrapped about 12:30 p.m. I burned them a disc of the favs and I was on my way by 1:00 p. m. On to the second post. I'll share in a future post what a great marketing tool this can be for your studio.















No comments:

Post a Comment