Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Technique Tuesday On Wednesday: Looking For Lines In All The Right Places: Part 1

Good Afternoon Everybody,

No ExcusesOK, no excuses for not making yesterday’s post on time – ok, one excuse.  I just ran out of time. I was about to sit down and get started at 4:00 p.m. yesterday and then we had an unexpected visitor show up – LaDawn’s son, Joshua.  We both decided the blog could wait until today and instead had a nice visit.

In all honesty, sometimes the blog can be overwhelming and seem to take precedence over everything else in the day, including family.  Yesterday I just decided that it was not going to happen.

The delay let me put even more time into today’s post making it a really strong Technique Tuesday (on Wednesday) and I hope you enjoy it. 

Looking For Lines In All The Right Places: Part 1

Today the topic is one of my favorites, composition.  I don’t care if you’re a wedding, portrait, commercial, or senior photographer – a great photograph always has great composition.

In today’s post I’m going to walk you through one of my favorite places to work in Cincinnati, OH – the Cincinnati Club, a very popular venue for weddings and other social events. You’ll see why in today’s tutorial.

After the video walk through I did a series of images in the same space.  This tutorial will show you what goes on during my creative process when composing images for my clients and how that pre-visualization and some simple creative lighting helps me capture the final result I’m looking for.

Why not hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.


Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  I still have to complete three articles for Photoshop World happening in just a couple of weeks, get a newsletter together, and pack for the North Carolina State Convention.  I hate to say it…. then it gets busier in March – and I thought I was trying to slow things down – maybe next year ;~)

Have a good one everybody and I hope to see you tomorrow,  -David


  1. Fantastic staircase!!! BTW, Nice Glasses Dave !