Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"Burning Beauty"

"Burning Beauty"
© David A. Ziser

I made this image a few years ago as part of a senior portrait session. I was really trying to pick up the sunset with a higher shutter speed and was fairly happy with the result. The only problem was that the field was way to dark. After working it in Photoshop for a bit, I got the result I wanted. (I'll plan on working that into an upcoming Technique Tuesday.) Light is coming in from the left side via my Quantum flash shooting through my translucent umbrella. Camera specs; Canon 20D fitted with 70-200mm IS lens at 70mm, F4.0 @ 1/200 second, ISO 100.
Enjoy! -David

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Fantastic shot there.
    Just one question, can the 17-85mm be opened up to f4 at 70mm?! Mine is already at f5.6 from 24mm onwards...

    Thanz.

    Big fan,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Andrew,
    I listed the wrong lens - it's correctly listed now. -David

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like you took a studio shot and pasted her into the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Dave. I like this picture. Pretty girl is bathing around the soft sunshine while at the time of sunset.It's so peaceful! But the picture make a Chinese archaism come to me: The setting sun is fairly beautiful but it's going to dusk(夕阳无限好,只是近黄昏). Would you take some picture of the rising sun?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of my favorite images by you, David. I am a huge fan of using flash to balance the ambient background light. I like to use three SB-800s for a shoot like this instead of a reflector. One hair light, one main light and one fill light. I love the high contrast created and separation that this can create.

    ReplyDelete