Monday, November 24, 2008

"Beauty By The River"

"Beauty By The River"
© David A. Ziser

This image is more about composition and lighting than anything else. First, composition - notice how I've placed her head in the top left quadrant of the scene. Also notice how the curve of the river's flow leads right to her. Also notice how the direction of light, coming from my off-camera flash, is coming from the same direction as the river. No fancy poses, just pretty light, and nice placement in the composition. I do wish the foliage would have been in better shape though - still, I like the image. Camera specs; Canon 5D fitted with 24-105 IS lens at 58mm, F5.6 @ 1/250 second, ISO 200. Enjoy! -David

5 comments:

  1. I like this image too, but surely to foliage doesn't help. Had it not been there, the bride would merge beautifully with the river. But that's not an option, most of the times! Did you also come across the situation of taking pictures of the bride and whilst doing it notice there are cars in a park, at the back? It just sucks!
    Did you use some modifier on the flash? Maybe a CTO gel? A softbox? I can see her dress is all illuminated, but maybe less on the bottom, so maybe no softbox?
    Thanks for this image, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that her head is not in the right quadrant as you've stated, but the left. Then again, maybe you're still under British influence from your trip, where everything's on the other side...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also got confused with the "right quadrant" statement. It obeys the rule of thirds, though... Maybe "right" as opposed to "wrong" instead of "left"? ;) It could be British influences, I agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came to rag you about being wrong in the right - only to be too slow and see others have already commented. Hope you're not driving stateside yet if you're still this confused!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally got back to the states and got my perspective realighned ;~)
    -David

    ReplyDelete