Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Technique Tuesday: Fabulous B&W Conversions For Wedding Photographers

Good Morning Everybody,

Google AnalyticsI was playing around with my blog design again this morning adding a widget or two.  I have to say, I’m constantly surprised by the Google Analytics reporting – over 300,000 pageviews in the last 30 days but only 60 comments for the same time period. That’s less than 0.0005% of all DPT readers.  I figure DPT has a very quiet, but loyal readership out there;~)  Anyway, my sincere appreciation for those folks that do take the time to leave a comment.

Hey gang, today I’m closing off comments and suggestions for my new book, Make Your Lighting Exciting: A Practical Approach To Great Lighting For Everybody.  [link]  You can still add your comments and suggestions right here.  On Thursday I’ll announce the winner of the $50 B&H Gift Card. Thanks to all who offered there suggestions, topics, and ideas for the book.  I’m formalizing the chapters over the next few days and I’ll give you a peek next week.  Again, thanks a bunch for your input!

OK, I finished with the housekeeping – time to get on with today’s post.  Here we go…

Fabulous B&W Conversions For Wedding Photographers

I really like the B&W look in my wedding portraits. There’s something about those soft shades of gray that let the viewer forget all about the color and place all their attention directly on the subject.

But converting those portrait images to B&W, although easy, demands a bit more tweaking to get the look I want. The adjustments I make are NOT your normal B&W adjustments either. I use some sliders in Lightroom that you may have never considered using for B&W enhancements.

The finished result is what counts though. Let me walk you through two images that will show you how a beautiful B&W portrait can be produced in Lightroom 4. Hit the PLAY button below and enjoy the show.

________________________________________________________________

Hey gang, that’s it for me today.  We’ve got to wrap up a few chores around the studio today and, with my Master Class right around the corner, we’re throwing in a few new twists for our largest international class ever!  It’s back to work for me ;~)

Have a great rest of the day and I’ll see you soon.

-David

9 comments:

  1. I don't write comments, badly I know English. But I read with pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    I read all your posts but I have not left a single comment. Shame on me, I should have. Even if just to thank you for your great business insights and your simple to follow technique tutorials. You are very inspirational to me, thank you! I am looking forward to reading more.

    Ivan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe because comments aren't responded to ?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article here. I’m fairly new to the wedding photography scene so it’s always interesting to read other peoples experiences and tips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks David. Question: would you change your approach at all with darker-skinned subjects?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings, David. We are indeed loyal readers. I try not to post out of respect for your hectic schedule but am grateful for the wealth of knowledge and insight you share. Brian F.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning David,

    I have reached one of those ability / artistic/ whatever plateaus - especially when it comes to creating B&W images that are more than just good. Thnks for giving me what I need - especially on the high key end of the spectrum.

    You are appreciated.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial...You are a great teacher and thank you so much for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great editing techniques using Lightroom, I usually am a Photoshop user but I loved how you showed a beautiful editing using LR. Gorgeous photo!

    ReplyDelete