Friday, May 18, 2012

"Coming At You"

0007- Friday Recap - 919C4541

"Coming At You"
©David A. Ziser 

This is just one of the images I captured yesterday at my B&H Central Park shootout.  It's just a simple portrait of this lovely young lady, Laurence.  What makes it special is the lighting.  Whenever you shoot under a gazebo like structure the light is usually flat and uninteresting. Unfortunately, most photographers are perfectly happy to shot away and be satisfied with an ordinary result.

How about we choose instead to make our lighting exciting and bring in some light from a direction that really flatters our subject?  I choose to do this by shooting my Quantum strobe through my super large 84inch Westcott translucent umbrella.  As you can see, the extra effort was worth it.

I balanced the strobe with the ambient light till I had the look and feel I wanted then asked my model to hit a comfortable pose and shot away.  I think we captured a really nice, easy portrait on a Thursday afternoon in Central Park

Camera specs: Canon 5D Mark III fitted with Sigma 70-200mm IS lens at 200mm, F3.5 @ 1/400 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David

3 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    It was a pleasure to see you and LaDawn yesterday in Central Park. I posted 3 images from the shoot on my blog. If you have a minute, I'd appreciate it if you take a look and let me know what you think. www.stevenzaraphotography.com/blog.html (email: steven@stevenzaraphotography.com)

    Thanks in advance
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David, I was curious about your shutter speed of 1/400 second. If the native sync is 1/250 second, how did you cheat this and not have it darken the right side of the frame? Thanks you for your time and teachings.

    Sincerely,
    Conan Segrest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mr Ziser, I note you're in Myrtle. If I could take you and Ladawn to lunch or suggest a place for dinner buzz me 8432227040. Would love to say hello!

    ReplyDelete