Friday, April 10, 2009

"Beauty In White"

"Beauty In White"
©David A. Ziser

Here is another image captured during my Detroit Wedding Shoot. As I mentioned earlier, the church had quite simple surrounds, but there were areas which I could isolate that worked nicely into my final composition. That was the case here. The grand piano was positioned directly in front of the white drapes you see in the background. The newly fallen Detroit snow served to heighten the "high key" effect even more. My goal was to push the density of the curtain to fairly light tonalities by over exposing them just a bit. I really just wanted "mostly white" behind my bride - I really didn't care if they looked like curtains or not. Once I established the density of the curtains, I then had to get the proper exposure exposure on my bride. That was easy, I just used my off-camera flash shooting through my translucent umbrella to get the proper illumination and light pattern on my bride's face. I think it turned out quite nice. Camera specs; Canon 5d Mark I fitted with 24-105mm IS lens at 83mm, F5.6 @ 1/200 second, ISO 1600.
Enjoy! -David

4 comments:

  1. Dave, why the 1600 ISO on this shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably not the place to ask this but seeing that your translucent umbrella is mentioned in the post...


    Where does one find the Zumbrella?

    Thanks,
    John
    john@johnlarkinphotography.com
    John Larkin Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. David--Jonathan and I love reading your blog. You and LaDawn are such a wonderful team--we have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you both and I loved working with LaDawn on the print crew at Mid-East this past winter. I cannot tell you how much we have learned from you, especially from the week-long class Jon attended a couple of years ago--your advice, tips, and sharing of lighting techniques have improved our work greatly. Thank you!From Rosemary at www.monarch-photography.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,

    According to LaDawn, the Zumbrellas are only available through them. I ordered one @ $29 from the seminar. You might be able to order from David's web site?

    David

    ReplyDelete