Thursday, August 09, 2012

"Street Smart"

StreetSmart27

"Street Smart"
©David A. Ziser

I was reviewing images for today’s post and came across this image I made of a high school senior a few years ago. This is one of several from the session and is one of my favorites.

I think what I like best about it is the utter simplicity of the image – just a straight head shot against a simple background. The girl’s somber, almost confrontational look show a strength of character in her expression – OK, let’s call it “attitude”.

That feeling is enhanced even more with the wisp of hair falling across her face. Compositionally she was isolated from the background by my close working distance to her and the long lens I was using.

Lighting is simple too.  Quantum T5d camera right at 1/2 power through my umbrella about 6 feet away. You may be wondering why the shadows aren’t showing up on the wall next to our subject.  Actually, the shadows are falling on the wall but on the back surface nicely out of view.

Overall, I think this is a strong portrait of this young lady both technically and compositionally.

Camera specs: Canon 30D fitted with 70-300mm IS lens at 300mm, F7.1 @ 1/320 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  -David

2 comments:

  1. At first I was bothered by that hair wisp but putting it in context with her "attitude" it looks very fitting. It's almost like she's challenging us to say something about it! It is a very cool composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This portrait image really has the "attitude". I have to agree with you on that. It's very strong yet you can feel the sincerity on it. Or maybe it's just me? P.S. I love her hair color!

    ReplyDelete