Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Big Easy Afternoon"

Big Easy Afternoon

"Big Easy Afternoon"
© David A. Ziser

I love this image of our bride photographed in the hotel lobby.  The large lobby offered a great space for this very elegant bridal portrait.  The challenge was with the lighting.  I wanted to still pick up some of the color in the sky you see in the distant window and had to be careful to select the exposure settings that would not blow out the detail in the sky.

I also knew I had some software solutions up my sleeve that might help achieve my goal. Yep, Lightroom 4 could be called upon to help save the day so I made the exposure knowing I had LR4 in my back pocket to help me get to my finished result.

The initial exposure showed a way too dark background.  I decided to add an accent light coming in from camera right and slightly behind the subject. The added light and slowing down the shutter speed helped opened up the background.

The lighting on the bride coming in from camera left and the other lighting considerations above gave me a very simple, yet elegantly portrait of our beautiful bride.

Camera specs: Canon 5D Mark lll fitted with Sigma 12-24mm lens at 24mm, F10 @ 1/50 second, ISO 200.  Enjoy!  David

2 comments:

  1. Hi David

    You are da man - have your book and follow your advice here. One question for you is, isn't this image a little on the dark side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear anonymous,

    I do many of my blog posts for my laptop which, as it turns out, is a Sony VAIO which I think has a lousy screen for these kinds of things. I to, occasionally notice, that some of the posts different from how they look on my studio monitor. But, always being in a hurry on the road, I just let it fly. In looking at this image on my studio monitor, I would agree that it's a little darker than I would like but, I think it still fills the bill for image of the day.

    Thanks for your comments and I'll keep an eye on the situation in future posts, David

    ReplyDelete