Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Technique Tuesday: Light Is Light, Right? Wrong? & Wedding Photographers Unite!

Good Afternoon Everybody,

I hope everyone had a WONDERFUL holiday weekend.  Ours was quiet and energizing.  I don't know about you guys and girls, but my Batteries were in deep discharge mode before the holidays.  Over the weekend I hardly got near a computer other than the holiday wishes I posted and what I'm mentioning below.

Over the weekend I did discover a very good way to recharge my batteries.  On Christmas morning, before tearing into each others presents, LaDawn suggested we look back over the year and revisit all the high points.  We found it a bit challenging to do it with instant recall - I guess my brain pixels are slowing a bit ;~) So, I headed over to the computer and fired up Google calendar to refresh our memories and review the year.

Happy New Year 2011 LR_thumb[3]And what a year it has been!  We were traveling for nearly 20 weeks, like close to 5 months, traveling throughout the USA, Canada, and Mexico.  No wonder it felt busy this year, and me the guy trying to slow things down a bit - whew!  We had some great times, photographed some BEAUTIFUL weddings including LaDawn’s son Joshua and new daughter-in-law Kristen. But more importantly, we met some great photographers along the way and especially the photographers we got to know even better from our Sedona and Napa three-day Experience to our week-long Master Classes.

We smiled and giggled for more than an hour just enjoying the fond memories of these past 12 months.  I think it's a good idea for everybody.  Too many times we dwell on the difficulties in our lives and often forget about or dismiss the true high points of the year.  Hey, we've got New Year's Day coming up in just a few - maybe you could take a peek back at 2011 this weekend…. just a thought.

Anyway, It's good to be back today.  The schedule around here this week is not too crazy, my daughter is coming in to visit, and we have one more holiday party to prepare for tomorrow evening.  It will be a nice few days.

That said, why don't we get on with today's post.  First, I want to give you an update on the "I Do" free wedding web event kicking off tomorrow and then we'll get on with today's technique Tuesday.  Here we go...

Wedding Photographers Unite!

I Do smallThe first of three FREE "I Do" wedding webcasts kicks off tomorrow at 10:00a.m. Each one features a different group of speakers.

The line-up for tomorrow looks great and includes some of my favorite young gun wedding photographers. 

The line-up for this Wednesday, December 28th:

11 am CST - Creating Remarkable Experiences / Becker

12 pm CST - No Cost Marketing / Zach & Jody Gray

1 pm CST - Creating a Successful Wedding Business / Laura Novak

2 pm CST - Picture the Perfect Wedding Album / Joy & Jules Bianchi (Brown)

Remember, you can pick up a DVD of ALL 16 speakers, me included, for only $79, and get $250 worth of super cool goodies to boot.  Whcc, ProSelect, Animoto, Shootsac, PWD Labs, & Successware have put together some exclusive goodies [link]. ONLY for those who buy the "I Do" recordings.

Buy before 11 am CST tomorrow, Wednesday, Dec. 28 to get $250 in goodies, and start making the changes for a blissful wedding business in 2012.

Once again, here is the link for all the info. Or just

REGISTER RIGHT HERE!

Technique Tuesday: Light Is Light, Right?  Wrong?

Today I want to walk you through a short discussion about the characteristics of light.  It's not about one piece of lighting gear filling the bill for all you shooting needs. Hey, you don't just use one lens on a job, do you?  Of course not.  It's the same for your lighting gear too.  You'll have to make choices about what lighting gear to use and when is the most appropriate times to use that lighting gear. 

Let's first talk about the size of the lights themselves. Yes, Virginia, size matters when talking about light.  You’ll get a different feeling from the portrait depending on the size of the light source used to illuminate the image.

Why not hit the PLAY button below and see how the size of your light source affects not just how the subject is illuminated but also how the size of the light impacts your portraits.

______________________________________________________

Hey gang, that's it for me today.  I'm the Master Chef for a party of about 20 guests tomorrow and my Henkel's, Cuisinart, and Kitchen Aid are waiting ;~) Have a great rest of the day and I'll see you tomorrow for another great post, "The Most Important Tool In Your Gear Bag". 

See ya' then,  David

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps, our paths will cross again in the coming year. Until then, I said "I will" to "I Do" and will continue to follow along on the blogs.

    ReplyDelete