Wednesday, June 25, 2014

”Rolling Thunder”

Rolling Thunder

”Rolling Thunder
©David A. Ziser

This cloud formation was one of the strangest and most eerie we have ever seen at the tip of the Baja peninsula, in San Jose del Cabo and maybe ever. Generally it’s all beautiful blue skies, soft cool breezes and amazing sunrises and sunsets. 

That was not the case two days ago when a weather front rolled in and looked to devour the entire area.  These kind of things happen around here but they are quite rare – heck it only rains 10-12 times a year.  Two days ago was one of those times.

LaDawn and I both stopped what we were doing just so we could watch the weather drama unfold. Even though I was making several exposures with my Canon 5D Mark 3, LaDawn suggested a panorama image of the scene.  I quickly pulled out my trusty iPhone 5 and took only one shot – the one you see above.  This image really does capture the ominous feeling of the moment, and what a moment it was!

Shortly the winds began gusting to about 30/35 mph and it seemed like all H… was going to break loose.  Thirty minutes later it was all over – a nice moderate rain shower, then a complete dissipation of the clouds altogether with the sun and blue skies making their appearance again.

I love the composition and colors of this photograph.  I’m still sorting through the Canon 5D Mk3 images but the iPhone image is by far my favorite!

Camera Specs: iPhone 5 set to Panorama mode, 4.13 mm, F2.4 at 1/1150 second, ISO 50.  Enjoy!  David

No comments:

Post a Comment