Monday, October 29, 2012

A Once In A Lifetime Experience

Good Morning Everybody,

I thought that after we docked and got off the cruise ship, I would have more time over the weekend to get a blog post up but once again time is very short. Our last two days in Rome have been quite busy with seeing many more of the sites – all very cool, BTW.  But I have a little time this very early Monday morning to share with you one of the highlights of our second few days stay in Rome. 

Sunday was supposed to be an easy day in the city.  We planned to walk from our hotel, the very beautiful Rome Cavalieri Hotel, down to St. Peter’s Basilica and see if we could maybe catch a glimpse of His Holiness, Pope Benedict.  Heck, it was Sunday and we heard he would address the crowds gathered in the square at noon.

We made our way down the hills of Rome and arrived at the Basilica about one hour later – the place was JAMMED PACKED!!!!  So what to do – jump in a cue  with all the other tourists.  Our line took us right into St. Peter’s where Sunday mass was just barely underway with Pope Benedict himself presiding – pretty cool, especially for the packed house of Christians and non-Christians alike watching the celebration.

Here are a few of my favorite images from yesterday’s Sunday celebration at St. Peter’s, the largest church in the world.

Pope1

Pope2

Pope3

Pope4

Pope5

Pope6

Pope7

Pope8

Have a great rest of the day everybody.  We’re off to Barcelona, Spain in just a few hours.  I’ll see you in Spain.

Arrivederci, David

5 comments:

  1. hello david, I will follow you for a long time, but lately because of work I did not open more your blog. I am a photographer and if I had known that you passed from Italy I would have liked to know you ... maybe next time, or maybe when I pass in use. Joke of course, but if you need an apprentice-assistant-rounder Italian not hesitate to call

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted that you took some time to look in on the boss, David! Thanks for posting the photos. I have enjoyed following your visit through Italy.

    If you ever think of visiting Chile, be sure to contact me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add, David, that I just discovered that you were at a memorable Eucharist at St. Peter's. It was the Closing Mass of the Synod of Bishops on the New Evangelization. Text of the Holy Father's homily can be found here: http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2012/10/let-us-put-away-all-blindness-to-truth.html The link also includes a spectacular view from above in St. Peter's looking down on the altar and those gathered for the mass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just great seeing thru your eyes!

    ReplyDelete